Comprehensive Plans serve as guiding documents to future policies, projects and development. They are enabled under the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code, Act of 1968 and are typically reviewed every 10 years. According to Section 301 of the Municipal Planning Code, the Comprehensive plan shall include:
- "A statement of objective of the municipality concerning its future development...
- A plan for land use...
- A plan to meet the housing needs of present residents and those individuals and families anticipated to reside in the municipality...
- A plan for movement of people and goods...
- A plan for community facilities and utilities...
- A state of the interrelationship among the various plan components...
- A discussion of short - and long -range implementation strategies...
- A statement indication that the existing and proposed development of the municipality is compatible with the existing and proposed development and plans in contiguous portions of neighboring municipalities...
- A plan for the protection of natural and history resources to the extent not preempted by federal or state law...
- A plan for the reliable supply of water, considering current and future water resources availability, uses and limitations... "
Below is a short video from the City of Laredo, Texas explaining a comprehensive plan:
In May 2019 , the Board of Commissioner approved the update to the Township's Comprehensive Plan. Montgomery County Planning Commission (MCPC) will be assisting the Township with the development of the plan through the Township's existing planning assistance agreement with the County.
The mission of the Comprehensive Plan is to define the goals and objectives for the future of the Township and chart the path through which these goals can be realized. Comprehensive planning is critical to understanding community assets and challenges; responding to changing demographics; maintaining fiscal balance and project priorities; and planning for short-term and long-term goals.
The Township established a Comprehensive Plan Committee comprised of experts in various fields to develop a strategy to complete the Plan over the next 18 months. There will be various way to participate and community meetings are being planned throughout the Township. Please see the section below for meeting dates and news!
Help shape the future of Abington Township!
The comprehensive plan is a document that guides future initiatives, policies, projects and growth within the Township including land use, transportation of people and goods, housing, township facilities and utilities, and natural and historical resources. Your participation is critical in helping develop the plan and ensuring it is reflective of our community's needs and wants; not only for the Township as a whole but the individual communities that comprise it.
What do you want for the future of Abington? What aspects of Abington do you hope continue for years to come? How has your neighborhood evolved and where can it be improved? Come to a meeting or share your thoughts and ideas online!
Please click on the tab of interest below to expand or contract information.
The first section of the plan sets goals and objectives, which will be the focus of these meetings. The meeting will be run mostly as a Q&A format, with the plan development team asking the questions, and community members providing answers (although questions are welcome). Discussion will address the creation of a vision statement, identification of major plan themes, and a "preserve, enhance or transform" exercise. Light refreshments will be served.
What to bring
- We will be using real-time polling questions, so please bring a smart phone or tablet if you have one. If you do not have one, don't worry! Your opinion will still be collected!
- Your vision for Abington Township in the future! What do you like about our community? What can be improved?
Feedback, Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you! Click here to leave your comments and/or questions about the Comprehensive Plan.
Not sure where to start? How about sharing what you like or dislike about your street, neighborhood or Abington as a whole? What is your favorite thing about Abington? What do you want your community to look like in 5, 10, 15 years?
Meeting Information: Meeting 1 was held at Edge Hill Fire Company on November 7, 2019 from 6:30 - 8:30 PM.
Meeting Information: Meeting 2 was held at Crestmont Clubhouse on November 12, 2019 from 6:30 - 8:30 PM.
Meeting Information: Meeting 3 was held at McKinley Elementary School on November 18, 2019 from 6:30 - 8:30 PM.
Meeting Video: Please click here to view the November 18, 2019 meeting.