Hours: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Address: 2201 Florey Lane, Abington, PA 19001
Abington Township's Public Works Department's Refuse Division is responsible for residential waste and recyclables collection. The Division collects trash, commingle, paper and yard debris one day per week from each residential property, via an automated system. Such concentrated efforts allow for a reduction in carbon emissions and missed collections. Additionally, the use of an automated system allows for costs savings and greater efficiency helping to keep refuse collection costs down.
Residents are asked to wheel their trash and recycling carts to the curb on their designated trash day. All containers must be curbside by 7:00 AM to ensure pick-up.
Trash should be placed at curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection day.
Please use common sense when disposing of trash! If you have a question in regards to the above information, please call (267) 536-1036.
Frequently Used Services and Asked Questions
Please click on the tabs below to be taken to more information about each topic.
Any item that does not fit in your trash can will not be taken by the Refuse Division, unless a large item pick-up is scheduled or is in Abington Township official blue bags placed next to the trash can. To learn more about a large item pick-up please visit our Large Item Pick-up Information page.
Residents who occasionally have excess trash, Blue Bags (with the Abington Township logo) can be purchased for 75¢ per bag at all Township facilities and at locations now selling Abington Township leaf bags. The Blue Bag is to be placed next to your automated recycling cart and can be put out any trash week. This Blue Bag can weigh no more than 30 lbs.; anything which is not in either an Abington Township Automated Cart or a specially marked Abington Township Blue Bag will be left curbside.
When the Township is closed there will be no trash, recyclable or yard waste collection. Trash and recyclables collection will occur on the next business day. Yard waste collection will resume the next regularly scheduled collection date.
For example, if a holiday occurs on a Monday, residents whose trash/recyclables are collected on Monday will be collected on Tuesday; however, if the holiday occurs on a Friday, trash/recyclables collection will occur the following Monday (the next business day).
Please note, the day after a holiday the Township does single-stream recycling. This means your recyclables will be collected TOGETHER. Your items are still being recycled and are taken to a site for separation. This is done to maximize the use of trucks and allows for additional pick-ups throughout the day.
The Township is closed and there will be no trash collection on the following days:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Presidents' Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veteran's Day (observed)
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Please call the refuse division at 267-536-1036 to notify them. If it is after 4:30 PM, please leave a message or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, address and phone number. This email address is monitored daily.
Depending on the time, your trash will be collected the day the Township is notified or the following day.
Normal household refuse such as food waste.
NEVER put any of the following materials in the trash cart as these materials can harm refuse collectors and the environment:
- Liquids of any type
- Medical Waste Supplies including needles, sharp objects, chemotherapy equipment or radiation equipment.
- Medical waste will result in the shut-down of the truck due to hazardous materials.
- Syringes in small quantities may be placed into a plastic container, an example being a liquid laundry detergent bottle with the cap replaced and the container then placed into the regular trash
- Building and construction debris from large projects is the responsibility of the resident or job contractor
- Furniture, appliances, auto parts, water heaters, major appliances, couches/chairs, car bumpers, fenders, engine blocks, etc. (See Large Item Pick up)
- Unwrapped sharp objects
- Household hazardous wastes
- Large tree limbs and trunks
Abington Township Public Works Department holds two trash clean-out weeks each year in April and October.
In 2019, trash clean out weeks will be April 8th through April 12th and October 7th through October 11th. During these weeks, on your normal trash day, we will take everything that you put out in your regular trash cart plus any additional normal trash placed in store-purchased refuse bags. Each residence can put out as much normal household trash as they want. The excess trash is to be placed next to your automated trash cart. This surplus trash must be in plastic garbage bags and cannot weigh more than 30 lbs. per bag. Any trash weighing more than 30 lbs. will be left curbside.
On clean-out days the following materials will not be accepted:
- No Large Items – examples: sofas, chairs, cabinets, table and chair sets, mattresses, shelves, exercise equipment, stoves, refrigerators, microwaves, washers, hot water heaters, large metal items, TVs, grills, windows, a/c units, tires, and wheelchairs. Abington Township has a large item pick-up service. Arrangements can be made at the Abington Township Building, Ardsley Community Center, Alverthorpe Manor and the township Highway Yard. Call 267-536-1038 for additional information visit our Large Item Pick-up webpage by clicking here.
- No E-Waste and Hazardous Waste – examples: circuit cards, cabling, computer monitors, computers, printers, computer peripherals, copiers, fax machines, DVD players, radios, stereos and any other electronic device; paint, toxic chemicals/materials or unsafe-to-handle items. Please call Montgomery County Hazardous Waste at 610-278-3618 to dispose of these items.
- No Construction Material – examples: wood from removing decks and fencing; materials from renovations, remodeling or reconstruction (drywall and similar materials), shingles, ceiling tiles, floor tiles, wall tiles, siding, dirt/sod, sand, stones, rocks, bricks, concrete, asphalt, and railroad ties. You must contact your own contractor to dispose of these materials
Request for trash can exchanges can be made only on weekdays in September by calling 267-536-1034 or 267-536-1036 from of 8 AM through 4 PM.
Residents can request a smaller or larger cart. There are three sizes available 95, 65 and 35 gallon. Please note each cart size has a different cost associated with it. Below is a breakdown of costs for each can. Additional carts can be purchased for those homeowners whose trash exceeds the 95 gallon cart. To inquire about having multiple carts, please contact the Public Works Refuse Division at 267-536-1034 or 267-536-1036.
Trash Cart Size
Residents can find their trash collection day by using the "Look-up Tool" on the homepage of the website. Residents can put in their address and service information related to that property will be visible, including their trash day, leaf collection day, voting district and more.