Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM. - 3:30 PM
Address: 2201 Florery Lane, Abington, PA 19001
Contact: 267-536- 1037
The objective of the Highway Department is to give Abington Township residents efficient and effective street maintenance, street lighting, traffic control, snow and ice removal, leaf collection, mulch processing, stream/storm maintenance and related public service.
Frequently Used Services and Asked Questions
Please click on the tabs below to be taken to more information about each topic.
This program provides for resurfacing of streets to improve riding comfort, reduce the need for maintenance and increase the life of the street. The streets resurfacing schedule is based on the condition of the roadway and the volume of traffic. The street resurfacing schedule is coordinated with all other township departments and all private utility companies' planning projects in effected right of ways.
Overlay is usually done during the summer months. Each year information from random sample sections of numerous streets are collected. The information gathered consists of length and width of cracks, severity of weathering, number of potholes, patches, bumps, sags and other distress. This material is then analyzed and recommendations are made which streets to pave for optimum cost benefit.
To report any problems or concerns relating to the above-mentioned conditions contact the Street Department at (267) 536-1037 with the nearest street address or intersection and the location or you may send email. Email a concern to the "Highway Department".
Minor patching and repair of township streets include permanent asphalt patching on deteriorated surfaces, patching of utility cuts and trenches in emergency situations only, crack sealing, and repair of miscellaneous concrete facilities such as retaining walls.
Pothole Maintenance and Reporting
Abington Township Public Works Department’s Street Maintenance Division is responsible for repairing potholes on Abington Township owned roadways. The Street Maintenance Division has a proactive approach to finding and resolving potholes. The Township’s street network is divided into 12 sections and routinely monitored for new potholes. Typically, two repair trucks are working each day to repair roadways and keep conditions safe.
The Township is responsible for removing snow and ice from more than 200 miles of roadway and provide the same service (under contract) to state (30 miles) and county (3.35 miles) of roadway.
The Traffic Signal and Maintenance Division of the Department of Public Works provides for operation, maintenance, repair, and construction of new and existing traffic signals, and street lights. In addition, this division maintains school speed limit flashing beacons, fire station beacons and other types of flashing signals.
Street LightsIf you believe a street light is warranted in your neighborhood, you must first contact your commissioner. To report a Street light problem, contact Street Light Maintenance at (267) 536-1033 or (267) 536-1037 or send Email. A service request will be generated. You may be asked for specifics such as the pole number if available, the location of the street light and the exact nature of the problem, an example being, the light remains on all of the time. PECO makes some of these repairs. Some repairs may take seven working days.
Traffic SignalsIn order for a traffic control signal to be installed certain criteria must be met:
- Volume of vehicles, cycle and pedestrian traffic
- Access for side street vehicles and pedestrians
- Physical intersection layout
- Safety record of the intersection
- Proximity of schools and other facilities
- Volume of turning traffic.
To report a Traffic signal problem, contact Traffic Signal Maintenance at (267) 536-1033 or you may send email. You may be asked for additional specifics such as direction of travel, is light on a pole or on mast, what color is the defective light, etc.
The purpose of the Vehicle Maintenance Division is to provide maintenance to the township fleet of all departments in an efficient and timely manner.
This division is responsible for the scheduling and performance of routine maintenance and major and minor repairs to the municipal fleet. Abington's fleet consists of approximately forty-five police cars and special use vehicles in the Police Department and twenty-two other Township vehicles. It also provides maintenance and support to all township departments including repairs to more than eighty trucks and heavy duty equipment along with other smaller pieces of equipment and power tools. Vehicle Maintenance installs and maintains the parking meters in the township.
The equipment ranges in size and complexity. This division has the responsibility of writing the specifications and receiving bids on pieces of equipment, trucks and vehicles needed by the various departments. They also decide when equipment needs replacing or refurbishing for further use.
Employees provide maintenance and record keeping on fuel control system and assure compliance with all federally mandated fuel and tank law regulations.
Department Office Hours: 7:00 A.M. - 3:30 P.M.
Monday through Friday
The following list is the PROPOSED road paving list. The paving of these roads is dependent on various factors including weather, utility coordination and materials.
- Abington Avenue - Keswick Avenue to Pleasant Avenue
- Ardsley Avenue - Edge Hill to Roberts Road
- Arnold Avenue -Woodland Road to Patane Avenue
- Baeder Road - 602 Baeder Road to Winding Road
- Bar Harbor Road - Jenkintown Road to Indian Creek Road
- Beaver Hollow Road - Jenkintown Road to Indian Creek Road
- Berkley Avenue - Gibson Avenue to Huntingdon Pike
- Briarwood Road - Jenkintown Road to Harvey Road
- Cadwalder Avenue - Douglas Avenue to Jenkintown Road
- Cardinal Road - Township Line Road to Squirrel Road
- Castlewood Road - Easton Road to Pleasant Avenue
- Charles Street - Easton Road to Hillcrest Avenue
- Church Road - Township Line to Chandler Avenue
- Cottage Road - Pleasant Avenue to Charles Street
- Crescent Avenue - Abington Avenue to Fortune Road
- Cross Road - Hillcrest Road to Garden Road
- Devon Road - Crosswicks Road to Upsal Road
- Douglas Avenue - Forrest Avenue to Osceola Avenue
- East Avenue - Patton Road to Woodland Road
- Edgely Avenue - Parkdale Avenue to Woodlawn Avenue
- Edwards Road - Woodland Road to Rothley Avenue
- Evergreen Road - Wellington Road to Jenkintown Road
- Fairfield Road - Pleasant Avenue to Easton Road
- Fairview Avenue - Washington Avenue to Hamilton Avenue
- Fern Road - Cross Road to Charles Street
- Fox Chase Road - Meetinghouse Road to Pond View Drive
- Garden Road - Cross Road to Charles Street
- Gibson Avenue - Los Angeles Avenue to Shady Lane
- Glen Road - 763 Glen Road to Winding Road
- Glenwood Avenue - Edgely Avenue to Dead End
- Hamel Avenue - Jenkintown Road to Spruce Avenue
- Harvey Road - Briarwood Road to Briarwood Road
- High Avenue - Old Welsh Road to Lamott Avenue
- High Avenue - Woodland Road to Patane Avenue
- Hillcrest Avenue - Abington Avenue to Charles Street
- Indian Creek Road - Forrest Avenue to Dead End
- Kelly Lane - Tague Avenue to Pleasant Avenue
- Lamott Avenue - Reservoir Avenue to High Avenue
- Longstreth Avenue - Montgomery Avenue to Old Huntingdon Pike
- Los Angeles Avenue - Gibson Avenue to Montgomery Avenue
- Meetinghouse Road - Jenkintown Road to Fairacres Road
- Montgomery Avenue - Huntingdon Pike to Kirkwood Avenue
- Noble Road - Rydal Road to Washington Lane
- North Hills Avenue - Spruce Avenue to Limekiln Pike
- Old Huntingdon Pike
- Osceola Avenue - Douglas Avenue to Jenkintown Road
- Park Avenue - Old Welsh Road to Hamilton Avenue
- Parkdale Avenue - Abington Avenue to Wharton Road
- Parkview Avenue - Fairview Avenue to Easton Road
- Pasadena Avenue - Los Angeles Avenue to Huntingdon Pike
- Patane Avenue - Easton Road to Reservoir Avenue
- Patton Road - East Avenue to Rothley Avenue
- Pepper Road - Noble Road to Washington Lane
- Phipps Avenue - Coolidge Avenue to Redwood Avenue
- Pleasant Avenue - Easton Road to Crescent Avenue
- Pleasant Avenue - Kelly Lane to Easton Road
- Prospect Avenue - Old Welsh Road to Washington Avenue
- Redwood Avenue - Phipps Avenue to Lamott Avenue
- Reservoir Avenue - Woodland Road to Patane Avenue
- Roll Avenue - Fairfield Road to Castlewood Road
- Romig Road - East Avenue to Rothley Avenue
- Roslyn Avenue -Ardsley Avenue to Edgecomb Avenue
- Rothley Avenue - Woodland Road to Patton Road
- San Diego Avenue - Los Angeles Avenue to Huntingdon Pike
- San Gabriel Avenue - Los Angeles Avenue to Huntingdon Pike
- Shelmire Street - Church Road to Zane Avenue
- Sparrow Road - Woodpecker Road to Cardinal Road
- Squirrel Road - Cardinal Road to Fisher Road
- Sunset Avenue - Meetinghouse Road to Wellington Terrace
- Tague Avenue - Kelly Lane to Easton Road
- Tennis Avenue - Mt. Carmel Avenue to Spruce Avenue
- Trieble Road - East Avenue to Rothley Avenue
- Tulpehocken Avenue - Douglas Avenue to Jenkintown Road
- Warner Road - Moredon Road to Dead End
- Washington Avenue - Clearview Avenue to Fairview Avenue
- Wellington Road - Forrest Avenue to Wellington Terrace
- Wellington Terrace - Wellington Road to Jenkintown Road
- Wharton Road -Abington Avenue to Donaldson Avenue
- Winding Road - Baeder Road to Wooded Road
- Wisteria Avenue - Garden Road to Fern Road
- Wooded Road - 777 Wooded Road to Winding Road
- Woodland Road - Rothley Avenue to East Avenue
- Woodlawn Avenue - Kenmore Avenue to Dead End
- Woodpecker Road - Sparrow Road to Cul-de-sac
- Woodpecker Road Cul-de-sac
- Zane Avenue - Shelmire Street to Dead End