Potholes, Road Paving and More!
Public Works Spring Updates
The Abington Township Public Works Department works year-round to ensure Township roads remain open and safe for travel; trash, recycling and yard waste are collected on time; Township facilities and equipment are maintained; and so much more!
Each Spring the Department experiences an increase in calls related to upcoming events, road repairs, and more. To be proactive in addressing questions and raising awareness, we have compiled a list of our most common questions this time of year with helpful information and links, which can be found below.
The Township has created a webpage dedicated to pothole information at: http://www.abington.org/departments/public-works/highway/report-a-pothole.
To report a pothole on a Township-owned road residents can:
- Call 267-536-1034 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the location information of the pothole.
To report a pothole on a PennDOT- owned road residents can:
- Call 1-800-349-7623 or submit feedback at http://customercare.penndot.gov/.
- For a full list of PennDOT roads visit: http://www.abington.org/departments/public-works/highway/report-a-pothole
To report a pothole on a Montgomery County- owned road (Easton Road) residents can:
- Call 610-278-3613
- The only County-owned road in Abington is Easton Road
The Public Works Department's Highway Division is responsible for road paving on Township-owned roads. To view the list of roads expected to be paved in 2019 visit: http://www.abington.org/departments/public-works/highway/road-paving-list.
Roadway paving is dependent upon weather conditions.
Mulch is available beginning March 18, 2019 for free Abington Township resident pick-up at:
- Baederwood Park
- Crestmont Park
- Alverthorpe Park at the Fox Chase Road entrance
- Abington Township Public Works Facility (2201 Flore Lane, Abington, PA 19001)
Mulch is made and provided by the Abington Township Public Works Department. Mulch can be picked up at any location for free by residents. Mulch can be purchased by businesses such as landscapers and contractors at the Public Works Facility for $5 for 3 yards. Additionally, mulch is provided year-round at the Public Works Facility when not available at Park locations.
The Public Works Department's Refuse Division hosts or participates in events year-round to support and increase recycling in our community.
Electronic Recycling "Anything with a Plug" Events:
Electronic collection events are held from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM at our Public Works Facility located at 2201 Florey Lane, Abington, PA 19001. No batteries, light bulbs, smoke detectors or large appliances. The is a charge for TV or computer monitors ($30) and wooden console or rear projection TVs ($100). Please note the Department has successfully re-routed the event to reduce wait times experienced in past events.
- Saturday, June 15, 2019
- Saturday, November 16, 2019
Shredding events are held from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM at our Public Works Facility located at 2201 Florey Lane, Abington, PA 19001. Residents are welcome to bring up to 4 boxes or bags per car weighing no more than 30lbs each. No businesses allowed. Please note the Department has successfully re-routed the event to reduce wait times experienced in past events.
- Saturday, April 13, 2019
- Saturday, July 20, 2019
- Saturday, October 19, 2019
The Township does not collected hazardous waste. Residents are able to participate in Montgomery County Waste Collection events. The County holds 6 events in various locations. The closest event to residents will be:
- Date: June 22, 2019
- Time: 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Location: Abington Junior High School, 2056 Susquehanna Road, Abington, PA 19001
For information on other events and collected items visit: http://www.abington.org/departments/refuse-recycling/household-hazardous-waste-collection
Clean Out Week:
During the below weeks, the Township will collect everything you place in your trash cans PLUS any additional normal trash placed in store bought refuse bags (under 30lbs) you put out with your regular trash on your SCHEDULED trash collection day.
NO electronics, hazardous waste, construction material or large items will be accepted.
- Week of April 8 to April 12, 2019
- Week of October 7 to October 11, 2019
For more information visit: http://www.abington.org/departments/refuse-recycling/shredding-events
At the end of each winter, the Township reflects on the past season and storms. The Township has updated our "Snow Removal" webpage with several new additions to help explain how roads are cleared during a winter storm and address frequently asked questions from this past year. You can visit this page at http://www.abington.org/departments/public-works/highway/snow-removal.
Recent additions include:
- Who is responsible for snow removal?
- How are roads prioritized?
- When does the Township begin preparing for a storm?
- Why does the Township plow curb to curb?
- Why should I remove my car from the street when it snows?
- Will trash be collected if there is a snow storm or snow emergency?
- A video explaining our tandem plowing operation